NCEA Level 1 Geography
Teacher in Charge: A. Lees
Geography is the study of Earth's landscapes, peoples, places and environments. It is, quite simply, about the world in which we live. It seeks to interpret the world and how it changes over time and explain relationships and connections between people and the environment. Essentially geography is unique in bridging the social sciences (human geography) with the natural sciences (physical geography). This course covers aspects of physical and human geography.
Study and assessments include:
- Investigating an extreme natural event (specifically earthquakes) and evaluating the consequences of it;
- Developing a geographic understanding of the sustainable use of an environment.(Mt Hutt Ski Area);
- Conducting geographic research, with direction;
- Describing aspects of a geographic topic at a global scale. (World population); and
- Applying concepts and basic geographic skills to demonstrate understanding of a given environment using a range of skills to interpret images and maps.
This course does lead to a University Entrance approved subject.
Recommended Prior Learning
No entry requirements.
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
Voluntary course contribution - Skills workbook $25
Total Credits Available: 18 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 8 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 10 credits.
Urban/Regional Planner, Immigration Officer, Intelligence Officer, Construction and Infrastructure, Geospatial Specialist, Survey Technician, Surveyor, Secondary School Teacher, Tertiary Lecturer, Geologist, Meteorologist, Travel Agent/Adviser, Historian, Retail Manager, Actor, Art Director (Film/Television/Stage), Artistic Director, Translator, Archivist, Conservator, Curator, Librarian, Library Assistant, Author, Journalist, Elected Government Representative, Policy Analyst, Barrister, Judge, Legal Executive, Solicitor, Records Adviser, Retail and Personal Services, Town Planner, Teaching, Demographer, Tourist Operator, Tourism Industry, Archaeologist, Anthropologist, Resource Management, Diplomat, Sociologist, Film maker, Lawyer, Social Work,
For NCEA Levels 1, 2 & 3 courses will be made up of a selection of the stated standards. This will happen at the beginning of the year with the assigned teacher.