NCEA Level 2 Chemistry
Teacher in Charge: H. Shah
- Practical skills are assessed in two internals and require accuracy, equation writing and some calculation work;
- Structure, bonding and properties of chemicals and energy changes in reactions;
- Rates of reaction, equilibrium and acids and bases;
- Reactions that involve electrons being gained or lost; and
- Organic chemistry - the chemistry of carbon (plastics, fuels, alcohols etc).
This course leads to a University Entrance approved subject.
Recommended Prior Learning
A minimum of 12 Level 1 Science credits including a chemistry standard with at least 8 credits at Merit level or above or in consultation with Head of Science.
This course needs to be taken if you intend continuing with this subject at Level 3 (Year 13).
Total Credits Available: 22 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 9 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 13 credits.
Biology: Medicine, Nursing Technician, Technologist, Teaching, Marine Biologist, Zoologist, Veterinarian/Vet, Nurse Chemistry: Pharmacist, Bio-Chemist, Industrial Chemist, Forensic Scientist Physics: Engineer, Pilot, Medicine, Physicist, Meteorology, Geophysics, Astronomy, Medical Radiation Technician Horticulture: Tree Surgeon, Nursery Production Manager, Packhouse Supervisor, Orchard Grower, Town Planner, Demographer, Tourist Operator, Tourism Industry, Archaeologist, Anthropologist, Meteorologist, Policy Analyst, Resource Management, Diplomat, Sociologist, Archivist, Film maker, Lawyer, Historian, Social Work, Geologist,
For NCEA Levels 1, 2 & 3 courses will be made up of a selection of the stated standards. This will happen at the beginning of the year with the assigned teacher.